Saturday, September 20, 2008

Oh Yes, This Will Get Stuck In Your Head

Tonight I will post two tunes that are very closely related to one another. I heard the first tune in a rather odd manner, and the second one was just a few days ago.

Don't ask for the story behind this, but I ended up listening to a radio station out of Montreal, CHOM. On it I discovered a ditty I had not heard of before; I hadn't heard of the band either.

That song was The Mexican, by Babe Ruth. Yep, an English band named after the legendary baseball player. This was their biggest hit, for sure. As mentioned in the Wikipedia link I provided already, the song was based off something done by Ennio Morricone, which is always badass.

Anyhow, the song is catchy… catchy to the point that I'm sure you'll get it stuck in your head for the next 12-24 hours after you first hear it, and then (possibly) repeat the next few times you hear it! While it's odd for a bunch of blokes to sing about Santa Anna and the Alamo, but nevertheless, don't be afraid to shake your ass to this... or what I'll bring up in a moment.

Babe Ruth-The Mexican (5.29 MB, 128Kbits/second)

In 1984, legendary dance figure "Jellybean" Benitez, was a big help in starting out Madonna, did a remix of The Mexican, and he was able to snag Babe Ruth's lead singer to re-record her vocals for this; hey, I'm sure she wasn't doing much at the time, considering that the band was broken up for years by this point. It sounds like what you'd expect an electro version of the song to sound like; this is a good thing. By the way, this is the "dance mix" of the song, meaning that it's almost 9 minutes long. It's not too difficult to find via legal means.

Jellybean-The Mexican (7.99 MB, 128Kbits/second)

I'll be back on the 30th of September. This is because I'll be tied up all next weekend with a great pair of wrestling shows.

No comments: