Saturday, March 7, 2009

Breaking It On Down

I had some ideas as to what I could post here, but the plans changed once I came across a video on the main page of MySpace Thursday afternoon. It was up on there as it has become so popular. But, it apparently was on YouTube first; the original video is here. Sure, there are videos out there of bootleg Mickey Mouses and Elmo's doing the Soulja Boy, but that pales in comparison to this find.

I swear, I can’t stop watching the video! It’s so bizarre, seeing Mickey Mouse breaking on down at Eurodisney… whoops, I mean Disneyland Resort Paris. I’ve never done it before, but if I ever ingested some acid, I imagine I’d see Mickey Mouse breakdancing!

Speaking of that, the video with its original audio is great, but it’s pushed over the edge if you play just about any breakdancing (i.e. electro) tune. I haven’t seen anyone online do the natural thing yet, and if I knew how to, then I’d do it and post it to YouTube, but since I don’t have that knowhow, I’ll just continue to do what I’ve done, which is to mute the original video and play the electro song on my headphones either via another streaming video, on my Windows Media Player, or on my CD player.

Two obvious songs that you could play are Planet Rock and Rockit, but I’ll give props to two tunes that you may not have heard of, but are on the album Street Jams: Electric Funk Part 4.

The first one is from Miami producer Tony Butler, who recorded the tune Don’t Stop the Rock under the pseudonym Freestyle. It’s a tune that I’ve heard used by more than one pro wrestler, as odd as it may sound. If you start the Mickey video at the 16 second mark, then it works rather well, if I should say so myself.

Freestyle-Don’t Stop the Rock (7.54 MB, 192Kbits/second)

The second tune is from the World Class Wreckin’ Cru, who had none other than Dr. Dre in its ranks. No, not the Doctor Dre with Ed Lover, but the more famous Dre, of The Chronic Fame. I don’t know why he wore makeup for pictures on one of their albums (which was used later as ammo by Eazy-E) but anyhow, before he had all that success in the 90’s and this decade, this was the first big success of his career, not N.W.A.

World Class Wreckin’ Cru-Juice (9.13 MB, 192Kbits/second)


I'll be back sometime next Friday with another song or two to spotlight.

No comments: