Sunday, May 17, 2009

RIP Wayman Tisdale

First off, no concert recap, as I never saw 2 Live Crew at that club. However, it was still quite a night... quite a week, as a matter of fact. Check out my MySpace blog for a detailed recap of all the madness and insanity.

It’s not always true but I at least try to have a variety of tune-age on here sometimes. The more variety the better, right? Well, the next few songs I plug will definitely be varied and genres that I haven’t really covered on here in a long time, if at all. The first one comes up now due to unfortunate circumstances.

On Friday, Wayman Tisdale passed away after bravely fighting against the ravages of cancer. If you don’t recognize the name, he was a really good basketball player who happened to retire and focus on his career as a jazz bassist, which he may have been even better at. A 6 foot 9 basketball player turned jazz bassist may sound like a cheap gimmick but he isn’t like most famous athletes who turn to a music career… he was great in the music field and received a lot of respect for his works.

I’ll post a song that for an easy-listening jazz tune I heard an awful lot a few years ago, whether it was randomly on a radio station or even at a Cheesecake Factory one time. It’s from 2006’s Way Up! album and it’s his cover of Kool & The Gang’s Get Down On It. It’s not too different from the original but it is awfully funky and it’s something you can tap your toe to; furthermore, it’ll prove my point about how good he was at what he did.

Wayman Tisdale-Get Down On It (3.57 MB, 128Kbits/second)

I'll be back next weekend with another tune to spotlight.

No comments: