Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Happy Cinco de Mayo

Yes, I've finally returned. I apologize for all the non-posts and breaks during the past 6 months or so, but it was due to my zany schedule. But, things should be more normal now.

I decided to wait until tonight as today is Cinco de Mayo. Sure, the past few weeks have been disastrous to the lovely country of Mexico for obvious reasons, but let's not worry about that today. I'll direct my attention towards this page, which is a post I did this past September. If you haven't already, you can download two versions of the song called The Mexican; what better day to do so, right?

Before I get to the song I'm about to post, I'll present you a video that is a song about to come out to album later in the month. It's a cover of Seven Nation Army. To me, just about every cover I've heard of that song is an improvement on the original, as the original is cursed with the GOD-AWFUL vocals of Jack White, but I don't want to digress there. The video is here and you'll see that the cover is by... The Oak Ridge Boys. Yes, the country group (formerly a gospel group) that's been together in some form since THE FORTIES and to me is best known for cheeseball stuff like Elvira. I found it on a messageboard and I thought, "What the hell is this?", but once I listened to it, it's pretty badass! A definite improvement on the original, even though you are able to get a good listen to the lyrics with this one and you realize just how crappy they really are and it's the beat that's the only thing that's good about the song... but anyway, they did a great job with it.

The song I want to put up is one from the 80's that you all know, but I bet that almost everyone knows the single version and has never listened to the full album version. That also describes the song I'll post this Friday, but that's all I'll give for a spoiler.

Tonight's song is Let's Dance, from David Bowie. It's the title song from that 1983 album. Given that the album version is almost twice as long as the single version, a lot was edited out. I mean, you get to hear extra trumpet work and even a percussion breakdown. So, I think it's worth hearing, especially if you like the single version.

David Bowie-Let's Dance (8.8 MB, 192Kbits/second)

I'll be back Friday night, like I promised already.

No comments: