Friday, May 8, 2009

As Nasty As I Wanna Be

I’ll be posting two songs tonight, as they both tie into each other in an odd sort of way.

You see, tonight I’ll be attending Club Antigua in downtown Orlando as today is the birthday of the local legend, DJ Magic Mike, who literally has been doing music for at least 20 years now.

Anyhow, Magic Mike is celebrating his birthday there, and there will be some famous guests there. The guys I’m talking about… 2 Live Crew! No kidding. Also, this wouldn’t be the first time that I’ve seen them live, if you can believe it, but I’ll tell you that story and how this experience was early next week. I mean, I hope to get in. Last month, I was hoping to see the DJ known as Sharam* perform live at Club Firestone, but complications prevented that, mainly that club being terrible and somehow them not having enough room, so there was a huge line of people waiting to get in, and I wasn’t going to wait in line, dammit.

Whom I’ve talked about before; one day I’ll post the full almost 11 minute album version of the song as the two links don’t work anymore.

The first song is a rather interesting tune they did with another famous group that’s known for sleaziness; Motley Crue! Yes, they did a song together. It was on Crew’s 1997 best-of album, Goes to the Movies: A Decade of Hits, and well, to be honest it was when both groups weren’t exactly at their peak (if it would’ve been recorded in, say, 1990, then it may have been awesome), but it’s still interesting as a curio. I mean, it’s really a version of Dr. Feelgood with rapping over it.

2 Live Crew & Motley Crue-Crew to Crue (4.1 MB, 128Kbits/second)

The second song is about partying, so it goes well with tonight, even though in all honesty the song has an apocalyptic little ditty. Most people probably know the single version of the tune and have never heard the full album version. It’s 1999, the title song from that 1982 album by Prince. It’s a famous song from that decade that everyone knows; now you’ll get to hear it in full, with added stuff that shows how dark it actually is. It also ends abruptly, I know, but it transitions right into the next song on that album, Little Red Corvette, so that’s why that happened. At least for tonight, I’ll focus on its party aspects rather than any “end of the world” stuff that the song also contains.

Prince-1999 (5.72 MB, 128Kbits/second)

I’ll be back early next week with a recap of my Crew experience.

No comments: