Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Cash... Johnny Cash

I know, a day late, a dollar short, and all that…

Remember when I talked about how Alice Cooper did a song for a Bond movie but it wasn’t used? Well, there’s another case of a pretty rad song being in the running for a Bond flick but it being eschewed for something else.

In this case, Tom Jones did the title song for the 1965 movie Thunderball. You can listen to it here. It’s what you’d expect a theme song from that franchise in the 60’s to be, for better or for worse. At least at the time Jones was a pretty big star. But, another big star did another song with the same title. It’s a late singer who became a favorite of hipsters and college kids but don’t let that turn you off.

None other than Johnny Cash did a song also entitled Thunderball in ’65. The lyrics are different and it definitely has the one of a kind Cash sound to it. Admittedly, I’m not a big fan of the country music genre and I don’t really have too many of his songs anywhere in my collection… but given that I enjoy his sound, that’s something that I need to rectify one of these days. No matter what you think of Cash, you should enjoy this tune.

Johnny Cash-Thunderball (3.26 MB, 160Kbits/second)

I'll be back to do one last one for July before I leave for my Illinois trip. That will be up by Tuesday night the 28th.

No comments: