Friday, April 18, 2008

My Favorite Flavor, Cherry Red

Yep, once again I will post an artist on here that is related to something on my other blog, although this time this artist is involved in both the mashup and the dance music field. It is Soulwax, a pair of DJ's who have a rather busy website, to say the least.

They've been remixing for years but they managed to (officially) remix one of the greatest songs from one of the greatest bands of all time, The Rolling Stones. You know what will happen if you borrow something from the group and their record company doesn't like how it was used… anyway, the song here is You Can't Always Get What You Want.

I heard that the song was in the end credits of the new film 21; I haven't seen it yet as it's still in theatres and popular opinion says that it's not that great of a film (although the true story it's based upon IS very interesting; it's a shame the movie seems to be a disappointment). I looked to download the tune to hear it myself, and I went to the great Hypem website and I found it there, on a French music blog which has a logo consisting of cassettes and a picture of what looks like Tom Selleck! Yeah, I can't explain it either, but anyway…

The song, which adds electronic elements to the all-time classic, is simply amazing. I'm not using hyperbole here either; I'm quite taken aback at the great job they did with it. It is very difficult to remix such a famous job and not ruin it or at least give people the impression that they'd much rather be hearing the original. That is NOT the case with this track, found on the 21 soundtrack. Since the French blog's link is still working, I'll direct you to there to download the tune.

I'll be back Sunday night with a certain tune that pertains to the day, which to some is the biggest holiday of the year!

No comments: