Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Carlos Santana Is The Man

A lot of people are familiar with Santana and the main guy in the band, Carlos Santana, even if it's for "Evil Ways", "Black Magic Woman", or the songs he's done since his amazing musical career comeback from the "Supernatural" CD onto the present day. Even if you forget all that (I prefer to forget most of the poppy stuff that he's done in the past 10 years personally) he and Santana have put out some incredible sounding music; I'm not talking about the "made for radio" stuff that was done in the 80's; you want to skip that. But, songs such as "Soul Sacrifice", "No One To Depend On", and "Europa" do a great job of showing how they did a tremendous job of blending rock, jazz, and Latin themes into one spicy package, not to mention showing off his tremendous guitar-playing skills.

For example, the live album that he did with Buddy Miles. Here is more info on Buddy. As it says in the Wikipedia entry he recorded a tune called "Them Changes", first with Jimi Hendrix in a concert at the Fillmore and then on a solo album (a song I will upload soon features horns sampled from this very ditty). I am putting up those versions of the song also, as they are both good and quite funky, and also as comparison to the main song I wanted to rip and upload.

Buddy and Carlos did a live album together and the one song I've heard from it is their version of "Them Changes." I first heard it on this album, which was one of the best 10 dollar finds I've ever bought and in the future I'll put up some other tracks from that. I was blown away when I heard the song. It is faster paced than the previous incarnations, Buddy sang his ass off, Carlos shredded his guitar part and the backing band kept up with the frenetic pace.

Hats off to everyone for that tune; if I ever find the album in a store I'll buy it; the sound samples for the other sounds make it sound like something I want to own.

Jimi Hendrix/Buddy Miles, "Changes" (5 MB,128 Kbits/second)

http://www.bigupload.com/d=9C56344B

Buddy Miles, "Them Changes" (3.08 MB, 128 Kbits/second)

http://www.bigupload.com/d=9029D6A4

Carlos Santana/Buddy Miles, "Them Changes" (Live) (8.04 MB, 192 Kbits/second)

http://www.bigupload.com/d=912DF6D1

That song makes you forget all about "Smooth" or "Maria, Maria", doesn't it? I'll be busy the rest of the week so who knows when I'll make my next update on here.

No comments: