Saturday, February 23, 2008

A Band That Shouldn't Be So "Rare"

Now, I will talk about a classic rock band that had only a few hits that you can still hear on the radio once in awhile, but from what few songs I've heard, they're awesome. In this case, I'm talking about Rare Earth, most famous for their version of the Motown classic Get Ready and I Just Want To Celebrate, a song that seems to represent their rock/funky mix. Now, it'd be obvious to post their album version of Get Ready (21 minutes long!) but that'd be too obvious, and plus I'm sure that won't be too hard to find if you look for it online. Instead, I'll mention another Motown cover they did, one that experienced some success. The album version is *only* 11 minutes long.

The tune in question is (I Know) I'm Losing You, which was originally made famous by The Temptations but has also been covered by the likes of Rod Stewart. All three are quality in their own ways; the original has a nice bite to it, with great lyrics (as you'd expect from the Motown song writers) and a classic theme of a guy fearing that he'll lose his lover to another man.

The Rare Earth version has an echo sound effect to the vocals, and the percussion/bass/guitar helps give it a trippy feel to it. With it being 11 minutes long there's of course ample opportunity for some jamming along the way. To me, it's a band that doesn't get its just due; I think their style is pretty cool and I'll try to find more from them, for my personal enjoyment, at least.

Rare Earth-(I Know) I'm Losing You (15.09 MB, 192Kbits/second)

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/12/28/1667157/Rare%20Earth-%28I%20Know%29%20I%27m%20Losing%20You.MP3

I'll be back Wednesday night with a new upload.

No comments: