Friday, February 1, 2008

Paying Tribute To A Trio Of Classic Videogames

Since I've had some free time as of late, I decided to do a threesome of song uploads for today, due to the fact that all three are from the same album. The tunes pay tribute to Pac-Man, Frogger, and Centipede.

In case you haven't guessed it yet, all three songs are from the Buckner & Garcia album Pac-Man Fever, including the title track, which amazingly enough made it to the top 10 of the Billboard Charts! I'm sure that if any of you have heard any songs from that album, it'd be that one, but the entire album was songs devoted to videogames. Not too surprisingly, the final 5 songs sound all like one another, but the first three ones are all different, so I'll post them.

Way back when in late August of 2004, the Pac-Man Café opened up in Orlando. I ended up going there a few times; sadly, though, not enough people went there, and it closed down after less than a year. Boy am I still bitter about that! They had some good food there, although their fries were very spicy. Anyway, after first going there I happened to look online and stumbled across the entire Buckner & Garcia album; sure, it was low quality versions of the songs, but I still downloaded them. Later on I found out that they were re-recordings done because their then record company were (and still are) dicks about the whole matter.

Given some of the lyrics of the title track, I wonder if there's a hidden meaning to it… you know, as of in a sexual nature! Here's the song so you can maybe judge for yourself.

Buckner & Garcia-Pac-Man Fever (4.42 MB, 160Kbits/second)

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/12/28/1667157/Buckner%20And%20Garcia%20-%20Pac-Man%20Fever%20-%2001%20-%20Pacman%20Fever.mp3

The second song is something else; one lyric in it-which is repeated a few times-is "Pluck your magic twanger, Froggy." I was like, "What in the world… is that a euphemism for masturbation?" It turns out its' a reference to an obscure 50's kids show, but I'm sure it was obscure even in 1982. Talk about random.

Buckner & Garcia-Froggy's Lament (3.11 MB, 128Kbits/second)

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/12/28/1667157/Buckner%20And%20Garcia%20-%20Froggy%27s%20Lament.mp3

The third song… back in 2004 the phrase "prog rock" came to mind, but that was totally a mistake on my part. One day it struck me, clear as a bell. I had no idea why I did not come up with it much sooner, as to me it's pretty obvious. I hope it's not just me, but doesn't Centipede sound almost exactly like Journey's Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)? Seriously! The most frightening thing is that if it was a ripoff, then it would be Steve Perry and gang who did so, as their album came out second. Talk about a terrifying thought.

Buckner & Garcia-Ode To A Centipede (6.34 MB, 160Kbits/second)


http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/12/28/1667157/Buckner%20And%20Garcia%20-%20Ode%20to%20a%20Centipede.mp3

I'll be back Monday night with a new tune.

No comments: