Friday, March 14, 2008

Walk, Don't Run To This Download

Here is the last part of me covering bands that made it into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame that you may not know a lot about, or are quite frankly surprised that they made it in.

The Ventures is a band famous for its surf rock songs such as Walk Don't Run and the theme to the TV show Hawaii Five-0, but I never realized they were so highly regarded or were such huge stars in Japan (long before Cheap Trick!), as their Wiki page and Hall of Fame induction page explained. Hell, they're still performing today and still release albums.

For example, the song I'm posting today is from their 1997 album Wild Again and they cover a song that I'm sure all of you know by heart due to it being such a popular tune in our culture since around the time that the Ventures started becoming popular. It's The James Bond Theme. They do a very good job with capturing the spirit of the original song. Then again, right now I'm listening to their cover of the funky disco song Theme to S.W.A.T., originally done by Rhythm Heritage. I know, it sounds bizarre to hear that a band best known for playing "surf music" would cover a song that you'd expect to hear in a blaxploitation film, but it was done for a concept album of TV theme songs. Sad to say, the versions I'm finding of the Ventures version is filled with too many "blips" that are distracting, so until I can find a version of it without that, I can't post the original and the cover to show how frighteningly well the Ventures song is to the Rhythm Heritage hit, and it also demonstrates that they were far from being just "a surf band".

The Ventures-The James Bond Theme (3.87 MB, 138Kbits/second)

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/12/28/1667157/Ventures%20-%20James%20Bond%20Theme.mp3

I'll be back a week from today with a new song. Hey, I don't think I'll have that much free time, so cut me some slack.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Impressora e Multifuncional, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://impressora-multifuncional.blogspot.com. A hug.