Friday, May 11, 2007

Even If You Don't Show Up In Your Chemise Lacoste.

First off, here's a big announcement. The next time I post, which will be early next week, I'll do an epic post surrounding Chinese Democracy, the Guns N' Roses album and how someone I know was the one responsible for leaking four tracks allegedly from the album around this time last week.

Earlier in the year I was watching a movie on one of the HD channels I got; the film was Urgh: A Music War, a rapid fire flick which featured live performances of many different new wave-alternative-underground artists and not much else. It probably will never be released on DVD due to rights issues so that channel showing the movie is by far the best picture you'll get to see, along with the easiest way of watching the film, rather than searching for the VHS tape. One guy I saw on there immediately got my attention.

As you can see in this video, there was a pan up of someone in tights and I assumed it was a chick; imagine my shock when it turned out to be a guy-a dude with makeup on and a bizarre haircut. It proved to be Klaus Nomi, a guy strange even by the standards of the punk-new wave movement.

I had only heard of Klaus one time before; I was at one of those hip trendy cafes that also show low-budget/obscure movies. It was in downtown Orlando in late 2004; the bartender at the place was talking to someone else about "The Nomi Song," a documentary concerning Klaus. Before then I had never heard of him; neither did the guy the bartender was chatting with.

He proved to have a brief musical career, cut short by the fact that he was one of the first celebrity types to die of an illness due to AIDS. It's sad, but after his death he became more well-known as a cult figure who, hey, has some very good (and quirkily good) songs.

For this installment, I'll post the live version of "Total Eclipse," taken from Urgh: A Music War.

I will note that I have heard the original album version of the song, but I, like many people, prefer the live version.

Klaus Nomi-"Total Eclipse" (live)-(5.83 MB, 192Kbits/second)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HT89BBQE

In the future I probably will post some more tunes of his, but like I said, the next time I post, which will be early next week, it will be a very long post related to the upcoming Guns N' Roses album Chinese Democracy.

No comments: