Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Honda Odyssey's Are Groovy?

I was thinking of a song to upload when I was watching TV, and a commercial for the Honda Odyssey came on; no, it wasn't the ad where they showed the interiors of a bunch of 70's shag vans and they had it set to the Foghat classic "Slow Ride." I never understood how the 70's vans were connected to the Odyssey, which is as far from being a hippie-mo-bile as you can get, but alas… anyhow, I'm not talking about that ad. Rather, it's a commercial with a bunch of trippy 70's animation and it's set to a funky song.


Well, if you don't know what the song is, it's "Give Up The Funk (Tear The Roof Off The Sucker)" by the infamous Parliament, of George Clinton and Parliament/Funkadelic fame. They are amongst the greatest funk bands of all time and even though the original Parliament slash Funkadelic (basically, Parliament was the R&B band and Funkadelic was the rock band, but that changed in the late 70's; their history is vast and complex so I won't get into it) broke apart part due to record company asses and more so due to drugs (just look at pictures of the band in the 70's, especially Clinton; you don't need a piss test to see that they vacuumed up all the drugs they could handle!), they still produced classic albums of amazing songs (such as Mothership Connection, which is where this song came from), this being their highest charting single. In the future I'm sure I'll put up more songs from George Clinton, but for now here's one tune, courtesy of it being on a national TV commercial.

Parliament-Give Up The Funk (Tear The Roof Off The Sucker) (7.95 MB, 192Kbits/second)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EH9U3IK5

I'll be back Wednesday afternoon with my next song.

No comments: