Wednesday, January 9, 2008

To Finally Come Through On Something I Wrote Last Year

In a blog entry last year (which would take far too long to try and find, to be honest) I mentioned before posting a song a tangent where I found out that there would be an album known as Instant Karma: Campaign to Save Darfur, from Amnesty International, where big music acts come together to cover John Lennon songs. The reason why I brought it up was that some of the artists were rather, ahem, not well suited to cover Lennon tunes... i.e., acts I hate! For example, the Black Eyed Peas and Avril Lavigne. At the time, I said that as soon as I could find the crappy songs online that I'd post one of them on here. Well, I only just got around to doing this last night.

The tune I'll spotlight here is Avril Lavigne's cover of-sigh-Imagine. I sigh as despite what some people may say-Christ, YouTube commenters make IMDb posters Nobel prize winners in comparison!-Imagine is a beautiful piece of work where a legendary songwriter and singer talks about wanting a better world to live in. So, what better artist to sing about these heady concepts than a poser "punk" than Ms. Lavigne? Criminy! While it's lucky for her that just today the lawsuit that was filed against her by The Rubinoos was dropped-something I did not know until after I started typing this, making this more relevant than I had planned-she just flat out sucks. She's phony, likes THE SPICE GIRLS, and most importantly to me, is an f'ing awful singer.

So, it's no surprise that her take on Imagine is terrible, although the fact that the opening of the song doesn't even sound like Lennon's original makes it all the worse, and thus it turned out to be a tuneless affair that's boring and also soulless. I imagine that Jack Johnson, an artist who I don't really care for, at least did a better job with his take on the same song, featured on the other disc on the album. I mean, it'd be hard to be any worse! But, I have heard U2's version of the title song on the album and it's pretty good, so if you are so interested and care about Lennon and/or the Darfur tragedy, than you may want to pick it up, despite the presence of at least one atrocious cover.

Avril Lavigne-Imagine (4.43 MB, 192Kbits per second)

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/12/28/1667157/10%20Avril%20Lavigne%20-%20Imagine.mp3


I'll be back Sunday night with my next song.

No comments: