Sunday, January 13, 2008

Whip It Right

There have been a few interesting ideas that have popped into my head as to what I want to blog about in the near future, but ultimately a commercial I saw recently inspired me to do an entry on this particular song, or rather the original and a remake of it that was in a movie.

I saw an ad for ReeseSticks and it used a well-known song from the 80's, Let It Whip, as done by The Dazz Band. I am glad the original tune appeared in the commercial, instead of some soulless and placid version done by session musicians or whatever.

Seeing the ad also reminded me of how I heard a pretty good rock cover version of the song a few years ago when I saw a movie. Unfortunately, that film was The New Guy, a flick I mainly saw because it had Eliza Dushku in it (and the scene of her trying on various bikinis… a great moment in American cinema!) but for the most part it was rather unfunny and a chore to watch. It's a shame, as a nerdy kid who likes funk music and who hooks up with a hot looking babe like Eliza (and damn, she looked great in the film)… you'd think it'd be an instant success with me, but it was a failure instead.

Anyway, a song on the soundtrack was a remake of Let It Whip, done by SR-71, a "pop punk" band. It was a nice cover that wasn't terrible or something that'd anger the original song writers due to how horribly it was done (yep I'm referring to my last entry; who knows, maybe from up above John Lennon himself grimaced when he heard Avril's version of Imagine!) Like I said, it's pretty good.

The Dazz Band-Let It Whip (6.54 MB, 192Kbits/second)

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/12/28/1667157/The%20Dazz%20Band-Let%20It%20Whip.MP3

SR-71-Let It Whip (5.34 MB, 192Kbits/second)

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/12/28/1667157/Let%20It%20Whip%20-%20SR-71.MP3

I'll be back Friday night with a new upload.

No comments: