Monday, June 15, 2009

In The Space

This post has to do with the fact that for the most part, when it comes to hip-hop/rap I care more about the beat rather than what is being rapped. I know that’s the antithesis of what most hardcore fans of that genre think, but hey whatever. That’s just me. I was reminded of that when I came across a post on a messageboard that’s a hangout for a bunch of people that I don’t like. I know, why would I want to follow them? Well, it’s the old “Keep your enemies closer” sort of thing.

So yeah, that post dealt with a leaked song from Jay-Z’s newest album. It’s called Death of Auto-Tune, an idea that I think is swell. I mean, it’s something I’ve actually talked about on my MySpace page, but Auto-Tune is WAY overused and I’m tired of it. That new Black Eyed Peas song is pretty atrocious, although hearing Fergie Auto-Tuned is hilarity.

The song (the Jay-Z one, although I’ve heard way too much praise for the BEP tune too) is apparently highly praised in some circles, but I have zero idea why. What Jay-Z says is weak sauce all the way and he should’ve buried the people who abuse it the most but as he’s friends with those guys, he says it’s ok for them to use it. Pathetic, but not as bad as the fact that according to what I hear, the new album was going to be heavily Auto-Tuned before Jay changed his tune, so to speak. And didn’t he retire a few years ago… so yeah, it’s not an album that I’ll be buying. I know that some will groan when I say that I prefer listening to the rap that you hear on a nightly basis at, say, Mako’s rather than some underground act or a “hip” act that all the pompous hipster assholes love to slobber over, but that’s honestly how I feel. Sorry!

To cut to the chase, someone in that thread asked where the groovy sample came from, and no one responded. I guess none of them have the mental capability to use GOOGLE to find this answer. That's what I did and I saw that the song is In The Space, by Janko Nilovic. I sure as heck haven't heard of him but that 1970 song is pretty awesome and well-done, so that's the best part of that Auto-Tune song; the rest of it I can do without. Below is a Sharebee upload that someone did of the tune. It means that once you get to the page you have the option of several different services that you can use to download the song. Very handy.

Janko Nilovic-In The Space (5.24 MB, 256Kbits/second)

I'll be back next weekend with another song to spotlight.

No comments: