Friday, June 26, 2009

Remembering Michael Jackson, Part 1

Well, I certainly wasn’t planning on doing another one of these so soon but of course with the big news that broke early yesterday evening for me, it’s something that I feel I have to do. Now, without taking into account how he was in real life-and it’s obvious that whether or not you believe those charges against him (I probably should look more into those cases before deciding one way or another, but I’ve heard that those accusers and their families were less than credible, so who knows what the truth actually is), he had obvious mental problems-you have to say that he made some incredible music. I have no idea whether or not those child molestation charges were true but either way it’s sad that he had an abusive father and ended up being messed up in the head from spending most of his life being a celebrity; as it’s been proven MANY times before, being a celebrity, especially these days with those awful cockroaches known as the paparazzi, seems like it’s not even worth it as it’s caused many casualties and people dying way too young with all the press and attention forcing people to do-as Michael did-to turn to drugs and alcohol and that along with whatever mental illnesses he always had, and it’s unfortunate that someone who was so talented and made some great music in the 70’s and 80’s lost his mind, allegedly did some horrific things, and even without that, just acted *strange* and his music career wasn’t the same. I don’t know if I can faithfully say “RIP” to him for obvious reasons but I’m still shocked that one of the most important figures in music history passed away unexpectedly.

Between that, Farrah Fawcett passing away on the same day after having to fight cancer for the past few years, Ed McMahon a few days prior, David Carradine dying and the way that happened, the death of Japanese wrestling legend Mitsuharu Misawa (a big deal to me) and the fake rumors yesterday about both Jeff Goldblum *and* Harrison Ford passing away, and it’s been quite the unfortunate month.

So, for today and up till Monday, I’ll be posting songs. No kidding. Today through Sunday will be songs from MJ and Monday will be devoted to another artist who passed away on Thursday but that’ll be ignored as his band was really a one hit wonder and of course it’ll be overshadowed by what went on yesterday. The song I’ll be posting today is the tune State of Shock, which is what I know what the world is still experiencing at this moment. It’s two versions of the song… the original on the album and an earlier demo, and it’s shameful that I didn’t know this until last night while looking on Wiki, but that song was written by MJ and a famous rock frontman but it was not Mick Jagger, who sang on the album but rather someone else.

The song appeared on The Jacksons album Victory. That was long after their days of Motown, when they were known as The Jackson 5 and they had to change their name. In fact, it was 1984, when Michael was the biggest star in the world and he decided to do this one last album before leaving the group. On the album, Michael sang the song with Mick Jagger, which is one hell of a coup and it’s still amazing to me that those two titans were able to come together on a song. I enjoyed the song ever since I heard it and I still listen to it time to time. However, I just found out last night that another famous rock frontman was the one who co-wrote it with.

The Jacksons-State of Shock (6.19 MB, 192Kbits/second)

Back in 2002 a demo version of the song surfaced that the band did with the guy who co-wrote the song. That guy? FREDDIE MERCURY. I legit had no idea until last night; it’s something I should’ve known as Queen is f’ing awesome and without a doubt Mercury will forever be the best rock vocalist that they has ever been. The demo is just that and who knows how it would have turned out if he did the album version; I don’t know why Jagger sang the song on Victory instead of Mercury, but whatever the reason, now you can hear it for yourself.


Jacksons/Freddie Mercury-State of Shock Demo (6.5 MB, 192Kbits/second)


I'll be back tomorrow with at least one more song.

No comments: