Monday, February 26, 2007

And You Can't Explain Why You Claimed Your Cat

I know, I'm late with this. I was just swamped with things to do today and I didn't have a whole lotta time to write this until now. Funny thing is, this is going to be pretty short and sweet. Hopefully at least some of you are familiar with Kurtis Blow and his famed song "The Breaks", which oddly enough is the only song of his I really cared for ("Basketball" didn't do a lot for me). But, The Breaks is a monster jam. Besides it being very Goddamn funky, you also have Kurtis humorously rapping about how everyone experiences bad breaks in their life (such as dealing with the IRS, people who go to dinner with you but they make you pay the bill, and so on and so forth), but you should just go with the flow, which is a good life lesson overall. Don't be downtrodden by the bad things in life-enjoy all the good shit instead.

It should be noted that with the mainstream popularity Kurtis experienced, he was accused of being a "sell-out", so it's a phenomenon that has existed for years in the hip hop game. The music industry and its fans are quite interesting; as they rise up you feel happy to support something that isn't popular, but if they do become hot like gangbusters, you tend to drop them like a habit. Most of the time I don't get it myself, but alas...

Kurtis Blow-"The Breaks" (10.90 MB, 192 Kbits/second)

http://www.bestsharing.com/files/cZ9w8W232240/Kurtis%20Blow-The%20Breaks.MP3.html

I'll be back on Tuesday with the last song for this old school week.

No comments: