Friday, April 20, 2007

Light It Up And Take A Puff, Pass It To Me Now

Yeah, today is 4/20, so (and I'm not going to discuss whether I've engaged in any recreational drug use or not in my past) it's only appropriate to upload a few songs related to cannabis, for all you potheads out there who may be reading this.

The first song is "Legalize It", by Peter Tosh. The purpose of this mid 70's reggae song is self-explanatory. Peter explains that many people smoke it (even lawyers) and it can help you out if you have tuberculosis or even "umara composis", which is one of those phrases that can have any meaning to it, a la "The Pompadus of Love". There's no other music out there more suited to smoking the cheeba than reggae, and this is the perfect reggae song for this day.

Peter Tosh-"Legalize It" (4.23 MB, 128Kbits/second)

http://www.bestsharing.com/files/XEQZruu266504/Peter%20Tosh%20-%20Legalize%20It.mp3.html


The second song is actually from the 1930's, if you can believe it, and it's a jazz/big band song. It's "Reefer Man", by Cab Calloway. I once saw Cab and his band perform the song in a real old movie from that decade. You may be surprised to hear someone talking about the drug way back then, but then again there were movies like "Reefer Madness" around and it was during that time that there was a real crackdown on the drug. Whether or not you think it was the right decision is up to you, but do note that this song is pretty catchy.

Cab Calloway-"Reefer Man" (2.75 MB, 128Kbits/second)

http://www.bestsharing.com/files/5lQ6l266502/Cab%20Calloway%20-%20Reefer%20Man.mp3.html


The third song is from Afroman, but no it's not the way too obvious selection "Because I Got High". Rather, it's a song known as "Crazy Rap", and it's a song I actually first heard on the rap station in Normal, Illinois while I was at a house party during my wild days at Illinois State University. Yes, they actually played this very vulgar song on the air, even though it was so pockmarked with edited out cusswords that it just wasn't that entertaining to listen to, although I had a very strong desire to download the original version, so that's what I did once I got back (or rather, stumbled back) to my dorm room. I saw that while the chorus related to smoking weed, the song otherwise is a humorous tale of his many sexual conquests, sung in a vulgar 2 Live Crew-type style. If that kind of music is to your liking, then you should get a lot of laughs out of this tune.

Afroman-"Crazy Rap" (7.61 MB, 192Kbits/second)

http://www.bestsharing.com/files/eXAWp6s266507/Afroman-%20Crazy%20Rap.MP3.html

I'll be back in a few days, kids.

No comments: