Saturday, April 7, 2007

A Rolling Stones Weekend, Part 2

Today, the three songs will span the Stones and their career from the 60's up to the late 90's.

The first one should be more than familiar to you guys who watch TV and have seen and heard the Chase Freedom commercial. That's right, it's "I'm Free", off of their 1965 "December's Children" album, although it's a new version of the song and not the original. So, even though you may be sick to death of the new version due to how often that ad is on, check out the original to see how different it is.

The Rolling Stones-"I'm Free" (2.23 MB, 128Kbits/second)

http://www.bestsharing.com/files/9tQ7WDg258212/Rolling%20Stones-%20I%27m%20Free.mp3.html

The second song is off of their "Rarities 1971-2003" album, released in 2005 and was a part of a Starbucks promotion; I have never been in a Starbucks before in my entire life and I'm happy to say that. I don't drink coffee or any of the other frou-frou beverages they offer for consumption. As you can see from the Wikipedia article I had linked, the term "rarities" was used rather loosely with this album but from first listen (I just bought it yesterday) it's good overall, although uneven. It is filled with a blues favor, so if you're a fan of that... that's exactly what I picked out with the song "Fancy Man Blues", a B-side to a single off of the 1989 "Steel Wheels "album that would fit in great at any juke joint.

The Rolling Stones-"Fancy Man Blues" (6.61 MB, 192 Kbits/second)

http://www.bestsharing.com/files/lOZp1T258214/The%20Rolling%20Stones-%20Fancy%20Man%20Blues.MP3.html

The third song is from 1997's "Bridges to Babylon". I know, the last few Rolling Stones albums aren't really known for their singles but instead how cohesive they are as a whole-that said, some of the tunes are still pretty good and should not be dismissed without a listen just because they aren't from the band's hitmaking years. I picked this song out for a good reason; not because it's the "best" or what have you, but rather because it was a totally random song played on the night I saw them in concert in Tampa* in late 2005. As you can see by the setlist, they mainly played the hits, which is what they usually do in concerts. It just makes sense, although of course there are those nutzo Stones fans out there who wish they would play all obscure tracks for the concerts that THEY attend; it shows that pro wrestling "smart marks" and uber-Rolling Stones fans can be more alike than you'd think. Anyway, since I liked how they did the song at concert (which was the first time I've ever heard it period) and the album version has a cool Latin Jazz type vibe to it (although it sounds suspiciously like "Oye Como Va" to me in some aspects) but it rocks out too in the bridge. This will hopefully dispel any notions that the last few albums have little to no value to them.

  • The setlist is as follows; I don't remember this off the top of my head; it was posted on the Stones' official site:

Start Me Up
It's Only Rock And Roll
She's So Cold
Tumblin' Dice
Rough Justice
Back Of My Hand
Dead Flowers
Bitch
Night Time Is The Right Time
The Worst
Infamy
Miss You
Oh No Not You Again
You Got Me Rocking
Honky Tonk Woman
Out Of Control
Sympathy For The Devil
Brown Sugar
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Satisfaction

The Rolling Stones-"Out of Control" (4.33 MB, 128 Kbits/second)

http://www.bestsharing.com/files/fpgau8258217/The%20Rolling%20Stones%20-%20Out%20Of%20Control.mp3.html

I'll conclude this weekend with a post tomorrow on Easter.

No comments: