Friday, April 6, 2007

A Rolling Stones Weekend, Part 1

This is the start of something I'll finish on Sunday, where I will feature a few Rolling Stones songs each day; note that these are songs that aren't the usual tunes you hear on the classic rock stations (or any other stations, for that matter). I decided to do this as the Stones are a band I like a *lot* (I got to see them in concert in October of 2005 in Tampa and I also bought a shirt there; even though the price of both were quite high it was money well worth spent; it may be the only time I ever get to see them live, and I loved it all. I'll talk more about that concert either tomorrow or Sunday) and I would like to showcase some tunes, that's all.

The first song is off of their 1986 album "Dirty Work", an album that isn't well-received by Stones fans, although part of that may have to do with the God-awful cover to the album. The Rolling Stones wearing day-glo suits on a coral green couch with a blue background… that is a sad sight to see. I mean, it's the bad-ass shit-kicking Rolling Stones! They just should not wear neon suits! But, I've heard the two main singles off the album ("Harlem Shuffle", actually a cover of an obscure 60's R&B record) and the song I uploaded for this, "One Hit (To The Body)", and I liked both (it seems like the general consensus hates "Harlem Shuffle", but I don't agree with that opinion) so maybe the entire album hasn't gotten its just due. As you can see from the Wikipedia link I provided (don't forget to click on all the links I provide in these entries), this was during a contentious time in the band's history, where some people thought this could've been their last album ever. The fact that they managed to put together an album that wasn't rated as "terrible" by most people says a lot about their natural talent.

As for "One Hit (To The Body)" it has a lot of punch and vigor to it; it is just about as good as many of their more familiar rockers, and it has the added bonus of Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin contributing his guitar to the tune, I guess because he didn't have any Death Wish movie to score at the time.

The Rolling Stones-"One Hit (To The Body)" (6.47 MB, 192 Kibits/second)

http://www.bestsharing.com/files/fXZRJRv257334/The%20Rolling%20Stones%20-%20One%20Hit%20To%20The%20Body.MP3.html

The next song is "She's A Rainbow", off of their controversial psychedelic album "Their Satanic Majesties Request."* A lot of people didn't like what was seen as an obvious attempt to try to be like "Pet Sounds" and "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band", but to me at least it was an interesting experiment that provided some songs I liked, especially this tune, "She's A Rainbow"; yeah, you may wonder what Mick really meant by "She comes in colors everywhere", but maybe I should just get my mind out of the gutter.

* I know it's also on the Forty Licks CD, which is a 2 CD best-of that tries its best to spotlight the songs most worthy to be on a best-of, but in the process left off some worthy tunes, and even worse, some of the songs had to be edited in order to fit on the CD; to me that's pretty sad, but I guess "Forty Licks" is catchier than "Thirty-Six Licks", and plus, the set was meant to commemorate the band being together for forty years, so that's why the number was chosen. Still, I never bought the album; I just checked it out of my local library for a week and burned a few songs off of it onto my computer, which I later put on a burned CD.

The Rolling Stones-"She's A Rainbow" (5.79 MB, 192Kbits/second)

http://www.bestsharing.com/files/YBZKRl257348/The%20Rolling%20Stones-She%27s%20A%20Rainbow.MP3.html

The final song is one sung by the incomparable Keith Richards himself. In case you're a newbie or whatever, yeah he sometimes sings. He doesn't exactly have the dulcid tones of Mick, but it's still a voice that isn't bad, by any means. I mean, I prefer it to most of the awful voices you hear on rock songs these days, to put it way too generally... anyhow, I think his best song is actually "Happy", but that's pretty well known, as not only was it a single, but I've heard it more than once in public places such as a restaurant, and plus, it's also on Forty Licks, so instead I picked another tune. This is "Little T&A", off of "Tattoo You", their 1981 album that not only produced "Start Me Up" but also was maybe their last "great" album ever. It's funny then how it was a hodge-podge of songs recorded at different times. As for this song, it's pretty much about one night stands-a common rock and roll theme, to state the obvious. It's a good rocking tune that you probably will like.

The Rolling Stones-"Little T&A" (4.68 MB, 192Kbits/second)

http://www.bestsharing.com/files/LAUQMy257350/The%20Rolling%20Stones%20-%20Little%20T%20_%20A.MP3.html

Tomorrow I will post three more songs, including one you should be more than familiar with by now due to its current use in a credit card commercial.

No comments: