Sunday, March 4, 2007

Winding Your Way Down To Baker Street

This wasn't planned out in advance, but from now until I leave for my vacation back to my old stomping grounds in Illinois (meaning that after this Friday, this page will be taking a vacation too, for a week and a half), I will be doing a "cover songs" week.

Many people are familiar with the song "Baker Street", the late 70's radio staple by Gerry Rafferty; even if you think you don't, if you heard the distinctive saxophone part you'll go, "Oh yeah, I recognize this tune!"

A cover version of this song that actually received some radio airplay back in the late 90's (although I only remember hearing it like two times on the stations) was by The Foo Fighters*. It was actually a B-side to one of their singles, so thus you can't find it on any album, making it perfect for me uploading it for all the alt-rock fans who read this blog.

* Here's a story that will make me look rather dumb, but I have to be honest. Back in 2000, before my "hip" days, I was chatting with a lady I know, and she mentioned Dave Grohl. I was like, "Um… who's that?" I know, I know… those days are long gone, though.

The Foo Fighters-"Baker Street" (8.45 MB, 192 Kbits/second)

http://www.bestsharing.com/files/Fv505sI236177/Foo%20Fighters-Baker%20Street.MP3.html

I'll be back on Monday with another cover.

No comments: