Thursday, July 26, 2007

Remembering The Old College Days

Some things as of late have reminded me of my college days at Illinois State University, where I went from August of 2000 until May of 2004. My time there started great and ended horribly; don't ask for the details, but some bad things happened that ruined the experience. But, while there were things that I would do differently with hindsight, I still had many great experiences there, and being there and meeting so many awesome people helped me become the person I am now (for better or for worse!)

One great thing is that I found out about a lot of different music while I was at ISU. For example, it's where I discovered how awesome dance music can be. I'll put up one song that I marked out (and still mark out) for. While living or visiting people in the dorm rooms, I was able to hear tunes that were both good and bad. Eminem's latest album at the time (back before he turned horrible with the last album he put out) was cool to listen to, but having to hear Limp Bizkit's then current album… oh that was a painful experience!

At least my tastes were always different, but in a good way. I mean, except for hearing a random dude in a dorm room hall play some tunes one night before I went out for a party (I was a big part of the party scene, believe it or not), not too many seemed to be fans of Elvis. But, I was excited to hear the remix of the song A Little Less Conversation, as I thought it kicked ass. In fact, I bought the CD single of the song, and I'm putting up the 12 inch single version (or, as it's known, "The extended mix" rather than the radio version that you may or may not have heard. I don't know why the song tanked on American radio stations; I guess it was more important to play the same old one hit wonder rap or R&B tune at the time… at least it was successful in many different countries around the world, and the extended version of the song even had a music video.

I only found out this just now, but the guy who did the remix, JXL, is more commonly known as Junkie XL. Ahh, what a name!

Oh, and I was also reminded of this song when I was in a KFC/Taco Bell earlier in the month. I ate in the restaurant right before a wrestling show and they played the extended version of the song, much to my surprise.

Elvis vs. JXL-A Little Less Conversation (12 Inch Extended Mix) (8.49 MB, 192Kbits/second)

http://www.zshare.net/audio/2863250bfa0483/

I'll be back Monday night with a very brief update where I post some YouTube links; hey, I'll be gone from Friday to Sunday evening in South Florida, so cut me some slack here.

No comments: