Monday, July 9, 2007

To Jump On The Bandwagon...

I apologize for taking a break for 5 days there, but I had many things on my agenda that made it necessary to not do this for a few days. For starters, I purchased a brand new car; lord is that ever an arduous process, all that paperwork and all that. But, onto the music. I actually have a story to tell from last night that goes along perfectly with this.

Yesterday my parents had over some guests that they knew back from they lived in Illinois. They were on vacation. I happened to be around. In a totally random discussion, the mom of one of the two kids there asked the 4 year old boy what his favorite song was. She said that it was Ms. New Booty. Yes, seriously. The kid said, "Oh no that's not it", to paraphrase. Instead, he sang the chorus to Girlfriend. A minute later it was stated that it was on Kidz Bop 12. In case you don't know, it's part of a series where kids sing cover versions of popular songs. Pretty much, it's not exactly my type of music genre; I mainly laugh at some of the songs they pick to put on there, like "Glamorous", also from 12, or their Halloween album having "Werewolves of London" on it, 9 having "Feel Good Inc.", 7 having "Float On"*, and so on and so forth. But, that's not really the point of this entry.

* Yes, a Modest Mouse song. Personally, I downloaded that version and thought it was better than the original, as the kids sounded a lot better than Isaac Brock, but I'm sure I'm in the minority on that opinion. I'm sure I'd also prefer the kids singing "Girlfriend", due to my opinion that Avril is tone-deaf.

Rather, it's to mention a story I heard on a forum a few days ago, which was that a band you, before a few days ago, probably never heard of, The Rubinoos, who I only knew of in the past for recording the theme song for "Revenge of The Nerds" (they sounded a *lot* different here than what I'm posting today), is suing Avril Lavigne. You see, this story, which is getting a lot of net publicity so you've probably already heard it already, but in case you haven't, is that the song Girlfriend's chorus rips off the chorus for their song "I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend." Yeah, it's similar, for sure (although that's the only common thing those two tunes have in common) but as others have astutely noted, The Rolling Stones should sue both bands for ripping off "Get Off My Cloud." (No, the Stones haven't actually said they will sue both bands or the winner of the lawsuit between the two) Also, Toni Basil may want to see Avril too, for reasons that are so obvious they won't be mentioned here.

I didn't mean to continue talking about tunes that sound suspiciously like one another, but this story broke and I had to upload the Rubinoos song, as at least it's a catchy piece of pop-rock.

The Rubinoos-I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend (3.08 MB, 128Kbits/second)

http://www.zshare.net/audio/261825467d694b/

Wednesday I will be back with a popular rock band, but it's a song you probably haven't heard of before.

No comments: