Thursday, October 11, 2007

The Best Name For A Musician Ever?

I am sure you remember my upload where I posted the Timbaland track Give It To Me and referenced the J. Geils Band song with the same title. Well, now is finally the time where I put up that song.

Everyone knows Centerfold and also Freeze Frame, but far too many don't realize that they used to be a rock band with a strong R&B feeling to them. Give It To Me is a great example of this. It's an extremely catchy piano ditty concerning Peter Wolf singing about how he wants his lady to "give it" to him. I don't think I need to explain what "it" is referring to, especially when the song has the lyric "Why keep me cold when it's so warm inside?"; it's obvious that the "inside" is not referring to him being outside of her log cabin or anything of that nature! It's from the 1973 album Bloodshot, and all the songs I've heard from their pre-pop era (only a few) all kick ass, but this is the best. The first half of the 6 1/2 minute song is Peter singing about his woman, and the second half is them breaking it on down in an awesome jam. You have to love a jam like this. At least I heard it on the radio one time, which is more than I can say about many songs I mark out for.

You also have to love that the harmonica player had the glorious name of... Magic Dick. Magic Dick! You can't possibly come up with a better name than that.

The J. Geils Band-Give It To Me (192Kbits/second)

http://www.zshare.net/audio/4165496c940eab/

I'll be off for a few days. I'll be back Monday night with the next upload.

No comments: