Thursday, September 20, 2007

Kickin' It Old School

After I finished with the Led Zeppelin block of songs I wasn't sure what song I would put up next, but then I saw a new Honda Accord ad that uses an ELO song. Kevin Spacey doing the voice-over for it was even more surprising for me; Kevin's a great actor, yes, but after I heard the rumor that he was gay, his role in American Beauty took on a new meaning.

Anyway, back to Electric Light Orchestra, a band that I think is awesome, even if other people don't. The song used in the Honda Accord ad was Hold On Tight (To Your Dreams), something that sounds like it is from the 50's or 60's, even though it was a 1981 album, "Time" to be exact. It's a cool song to use but there's a similar-sounding tune that I like even better. It's from 1983's "Secret Messages" album, but I'll get to it in a moment.

Electric Light Orchestra-Hold On Tight (To Your Dreams) (2.86 MB, 128Kbits/second)

http://www.zshare.net/audio/3759611723716d/

Here is the song I was referring to from Secret Messages. It is not Four Little Diamonds, as made famous in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, but instead Rock 'n' Roll Is King. I think it's even better than Hold On Tight. Unlike the other tune, I have it on CD. The 3 CD collection was Rockin' 80's, which proved to be a steal at 9.99. The Final Countdown, Working For The Weekend, AND Cum On Feel The Noize? Sold! The best song I had not heard of before I bought it proved to be the ELO track.

Electric Light Orchestra-Rock 'n' Roll Is King (192Kbits/second)

http://www.zshare.net/audio/37597495f43262/

I'll be back Sunday night.

No comments: