Friday, September 14, 2007

Led Zeppelin Is Something Else

I apologize for getting this up late, as Thursday was just not the best day to upload a tune, so that's why instead I'm posting it now. I always feel like an ass for not living up to my word, even with something that everyone else would feel is inconsequential. That's just how I am.

The major music news for the week doesn't have anything to do with Kanye vs. 50 Cent or any of that nonsense. Instead, for the first time in 19 years Led Zeppelin is going to perform in concert. It's November 26th in London at a benefit concert which will include Foreignor, which I found to be odd until I realized that Jason Bonham, who will be drumming for Zeppelin in place of his famous father, has been in Foreignor for the past few years, so there you go.

Picking just a few songs to upload here is a difficult task as all of their albums have songs that you usually don't hear on the radio (unless you live in an area where the local classic rock station spends about 20 minutes a night playing all Zeppelin tracks, as Orlando's 96.5 does every Monday through Friday night with "Getting The Led Out" segment) but yet are still awesome.

For example, on Getting The Led Out I've been able to listen to some tracks from the BBC Sessions album, released 10 years ago. The one I'm putting up is a track done live in the summer of '69, which was between their first and second albums. The song is Something Else, originally done by Eddie Cochran, best known for his writing and performing of the classic Summertime Blues. Zeppelin's version is a quick (barely over 2 minute) ditty where they rip through it in an aggressive manner. It also includes a heavy piano part, so I presume-given that I haven't heard the original-that it does a great job of capturing the spirit of the original version.

Led Zeppelin-Something Else (3.58 MB, 234Kbits/second)

http://www.zshare.net/audio/36408285632d54/

I'll be back Sunday afternoon (I promise!) with another tune from Zeppelin's library of songs.

No comments: