Wednesday, September 5, 2007

You Don't Have To Hide Nothing No More

First off, I just realized that with stuff uploaded to zshare.net, it gets deleted 15 days after its last use, so if you're ever looking through my archives or whatnot and notice that a file I put up via zshare, megaupload, or another service is currently down, leave a comment on my page or send me a message another way and I can put it back up for you.

Today I am going to do something a little different. I'm going to put up the original version of a song (which is well-known as it's not that uncommon on the oldies stations) and a cover version that I heard on one of the music channels on my digital cable service; that cover version is pretty obscure, and even online it's hard to find info on the band.

The song I'm talking about is "Little Girl", originally done by the Syndicate of Sound. It was their only hit, really, but what a memorable song to have as your only song of note. It's a very groovy and catchy song that you'll probably recognize if you listen to the oldies station… or rather, "have listened", given that they are hard to find these days. At least in some spots across the country there's "The True Oldies Channel". In Orlando it's on an AM station, but north of Tampa it's on an FM station, so usually I can only hear it on FM when I'm traveling west, like to a wrestling show in a small town or some sort of event in the Tampa Bay area. Also, there's satellite radio and if nothing else, downloading MP3's and burning your own oldies CD's, as I've done a few times myself for me and my parents; I know, what a nice son I am.

Anyway, awhile back on one of the digital cable music channels I heard The Banned cover Little Girl and do a great job of it. It sounds different, yet carries the same spirit of the original. It was a great job, and yet it was a bitch and a half trying to find it. I finally found it online, so I downloaded it and here it is for your listening pleasure. Unfortunately, I can't tell you much about The Banned except that they were a British New Wave band and the song is from the late 70's.

Syndicate of Sound-Little Girl (3.44 MB, 192Kbits/second)

http://www.zshare.net/audio/3489322c74b884/

The Banned-Little Girl (3.25 MB, 192Kbits/second)

http://www.zshare.net/audio/3489408b55629e/

I'll be back Saturday afternoon with a new tune.

No comments: