Friday, August 3, 2007

Bratz... Come Out To PLAY-AY!

While looking through a new layout for my MySpace page, I came across a layout for the 1979 classic film The Warriors. I added it to my page as that film is awesome. Sure, it's cartoony in the fact that, for example, how the gangs dress, but if you don't put that much thought into it, it's an awesome action film with scads of great scenes.

Then, last night I happened to be in a store and saw that the Warriors PS2 game was on sale for 20 bucks so I bought it. I heard that it was a quality game so that's why I made the purchase. I've only started playing it but it does appear to be a sweet-ass disc.

They also have music from the move in the game. For example, the cover of Nowhere To Run. The original is by the famed Holland-Dozier-Holland writing stuff at Motown and sung by Martha Reeves & The Vandellas. The disco-sounding cover of the song that is in the film is from the R&B singer Arnold McCuller. If you've seen the film you'll probably remember the song. I was able to find it with little trouble. However, it's been a bitch trying to download the instrumental that's in the opening credits of the film. When I can get it I'll post it sometime in the future.

Before I post the song, though, I have to mention the epiphany that shot into my brain late last night. I don't know if you've seen the trailer or any ads to the hideous Bratz movie, based off of the line of dolls that are popular with young girls... and possibly pedophiles too! I mean, just look at the Baby Bratz line.

Awhile ago I saw a high quality version of the film's trailer which shows in details just how bizarre their cliques are (one is of "dino-students"; um, what?) but just by seeing the link I provided you can understand that the cliques they have in the film (which plays into the entire plot of the flick, which is that the ladies are pressured to try and join one but in the end they have to "remain real" or whatever and just be themselves) are portrayed rather broadly and stereotypically, to say the least. I mean, what high school as a "disco group" in it?

I probably only realized this due to buying the game, but the cliques in here come off as being EXACTLY like the gangs in The Warriors! I mean, the disco people, the "dino-students", the "sk8ters"... I can imagine the Baseball Furies, The Lizzies, and The Punks (the rollerskaters) also sitting at individual lunch tables in this bizarre high school world. Hell, Bratz has a mime clique (judging by its trailer) and there was also a mime group in The Warriors! If it's just a bizarre coincidence, it's still more than a little freaky to me.

The only way that I'd see Bratz was if it was a remake of The Warriors and the Bratz faction had to fight the "dino-students", the nerds, the jocks, and the band members in order to head back to their home turf. Oh would I ever love to read or even see that vision come to life...

Arnold McCuller-Nowhere To Run (2.98 MB, 128Kbits/second)

http://www.zshare.net/audio/2971497987cefb/

I'll be back sometime on Monday (probably in the evening) where I probably won't make any further connections between films that appear to have nothing in common... and hopefully have no problems with the font in my entries either.

No comments: