Sunday, August 19, 2007

Remembering Elvis, Part 3

For this last edition of my tribute to Elvis, I decided to go campy and not because I want to be an ass and disrespect the memory of this great icon (after all, I have a t-shirt with him on it that I got in Memphis in 2003 when I went there with two people I knew for spring break.) but rather for curio reasons and to show that even he sang bad songs, so here are a trio of tunes from an infamous bootleg album known as Elvis's Greatest Shit. Nevermind how I found it, although it's not difficult if you Google the term… but yeah, nevermind how I found it.

The first song is known as "Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce". Yes, that's what it's called! The reason for picking it out should be obvious. It's a song sung in the film Girl Happy. I mean, a tune that's supposed to be a jingle from a spring break town plugging itself… you have to feel sorry for how Elvis had to act in many films, most of which were genial and innocent enough, but still forgettable (I've only seen a few, but that's a general rule with the majority of his films). The song itself doesn't have the best lyrics, but the tune itself isn't that bad, which actually applies to all three songs here.

Elvis-Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce (2.72 MB, 256Kbits/second)

http://www.zshare.net/audio/32205655f3a7f6/

The second song has another incredible title... Yoga Is As Yoga Does! Yes, this was long before Stupid Is As Stupid Does. This is from Easy Come, Easy Go. Just WHY there is a song about yoga, I don't know, although from what I understand (I haven't seen this particular film) Elvis is a frogman this is probably not the best film in his filmography. Special notice has to be placed on trying to rhyme "serious" with "posterious". Yes, posterious is the word, rather than "posterior". Yikes.

Elvis-Yoga Is As Yoga Does (3.87 MB, 256Kbits/second)

http://www.zshare.net/audio/32206058bafc9a/

The third tune has another great title, although at least the song itself is a double entendre. It is known as "No Room To Rhumba In A Sports Car", "rhumba" being a code word for "fuck your brains out", to state it as plainly as I can. It makes the song better if you make that substitution. It's from the film "Fun in Acapulco", a flick where Elvis never actually went to that tropical locale. Figures.

Elvis-No Room To Rhumba In A Sports Car (3.42 MB, 256Kbits/second)

http://www.zshare.net/audio/32206263f4010d/

I'll be back Wednesday afternoon with a new tune.

No comments: