Saturday, August 25, 2007

My Name Is… Labi Siffre?

I am going to go ultra-obscure in today's upload.

It is a song that I first found on the great website known as Sample FAQ. I don't remember how, but I stumbled upon a song known as "I Got The" (or sometimes known as "I Got The Blues"; I believe the former is correct, although that's not for certain), by a guy known as Labi Siffre, who is someone I had never heard of before, and really knew nothing about at all.Recently I looked him up again and saw his Wikipedia page and discovered that he was a homosexual, which made the famous rap song that came out 8 years ago that sampled the tune quite shocking.

The song... "My Name Is", by Eminem! I don't know how Dr. Dre found the song, but it turned out to be a great sample to use. It's just interesting given Labi's background. For the record, the first 2 minutes of the 6 1/2 minute tune sounds like a total 70's lounge love song (not the best description, but that's all that comes to mind; you can almost imagine Barry White singing over the music) and then there's an instrumental part that was used in the My Name Is sample. Then, the last part of the song is a combination of the two.

Labi Siffre-I Got The (6.01 MB, 128Kbits/second)

http://www.zshare.net/audio/33050565e9fc36/

Speaking of Eminem, back when I mentioned in a previous post that his rapping career after the 8 Mile soundtrack was pitiful when before that it was so amazing, I had completely forgotten about how he sampled one of the worst songs of the 80's, "Toy Soldiers", and sampled it and somehow made it even worse than the original. Yikes. It's a shame, but maybe with his new album which is allegedly going to come out "soon", he can turn it around and make us forget how terrible "Encore" was.

I'll be back on Monday night with another song.

No comments: