Monday, August 13, 2007

Orlando, Jump On It

My weekend turned out to be a lot of fun and different from the norm also. I went out both nights to downtown Orlando and its nightlife. Tomorrow night I'll talk about what happened on Saturday, but Friday night… bits and pieces taken from my MySpace blog:


I just got back minutes ago from a night out with someone I know from living in
Belvidere (he's also from the town... hell, we graduated the same year, 2000). He happens to be down here in Orlando on an internship for a construction company. We were able to get into contact with each other via the power of the Internet so I drove over to his place and from there we went to downtown Orlando.

First, we ended up at a tiki bar (of all places) in downtown Orlando on that strip of bars on Wall Street. It was known as the WaiTiki. It wasn't too shabby. Many of the female patrons there were far from being shabby… From there we ended up at a nearby bar known as Casey's.

From there we went to Lattitude's, a bar that's literally on the roof on Church Street-yes it's a place I've never been to either-and that was a lot of fun too. Sure, if you're a dude and you expect one of the MALE bartenders to wait on you then you're shit out of luck-finally a female one waited on me-but other than that, no complaints. There was also the added bonus of seeing one girl stick her face into her friend's rather sizeable breasts... they were freaks! They weren't the only ones there, though. As you can see it was a night filled with fun and LOL's.

Anyway, I did discover a song while at Latitudes that I had not heard before, amazingly. It's a song from Sir Mix-a-Lot. No, it's not THAT song... it was played a little earlier in the night at Latitudes. Rather, it's a rap that samples the Grandmaster Flash song Apache. It's known as "Jump On It" and it was pretty popular at Latitudes. I liked it too, although nothing will quite top the Tommy Seebach Band version of Apache, as most of us can only dream of being as awesome as Tommy Seebach.

As you can see from the lyrics it is a song that talks about various cities and areas across the country, including Orlando and namechecks the great DJ Magic Mike. It's from '96, meaning it was after Baby Got Back became a certifiable classic. To be honest I've never known a whole lot about his career besides that one song, but I'm glad I heard "Jump On It" as he did a great job enhancing what was already an awesome song.

Sir Mix-a-Lot-Jump On It (128Kbits/second)

http://www.zshare.net/audio/31226519534b03/

I'll be back tomorrow night with the second part of my weekend recap, plus a song I heard this past Saturday night that I knew from years ago but never thought I'd hear in public. Trust me, it's tremendous.

No comments: