Saturday, August 11, 2007

Love Is The Drug And I Need To Score

Note: I wrote the below early on Friday. I wanted to wait until Friday night to post it, but of course during the late afternoon-early evening hours, the cable was out. As a digital cable subscriber, that meant no cable Internet either. That is why this is being posted now, after I got back from my night on the town. I consumed a large Red Bull drink infused with alcohol (rum, to be exact; yes, rum and not vodka; it's good, actually) so that's why I'm still up.

Today I decided not to spend a lot of time with this blog. Hey, I have other things planned, including writing something for my Livejournal page and hopefully meeting up with a person I know from my Illinois days who happens to be in the area at this time.

But, I still want to upload a song, and one that is the usual you would expect from me, and something that's a little different from what I've put up this week, which has been rock tunes from the 80's. This one is what may be considered an "art rock" song from a band that frequently was well known for this genre. It's the English rock band Roxy Music and their song Love Is The Drug.

I've heard of Roxy a long while ago but I didn't really feel like checking out any of their music (and after I found the song, I listened to a few other tunes from them and it's usually not the type of tunes I listen to) but the one tune of theirs that I do like I originally found on... a vinyl album that my parents have. No, they're not art rock listeners. Rather, it was a compilation album of totally random 70's songs (I mean, it had You Sexy Thing, I'm Easy, and a single version of Green Grass & High Tides). I listened to the song, from Roxy's Siren album and thought it was pretty good... the lyrics are well-done and do a great job of explaining how powerful love really is. It IS like a drug, IMO. Funnily, the lyrics also sound like the start of a beautiful... one night stand!

As an aside I'm surprised that this tune is one of the 500 that receive special attention in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. The website doesn't explain how the tunes were chosen, so one of these days when I visit the Hall of Fame building in Cleveland I'll have to look at that and I should finally know how the tunes were chosen. I mean, some of them I haven't even heard of before, and others I really don't know why they were included.

Funnily enough I burned the song from a CD that was part of a collection I bought last year. The CD's were advertised as being copyright-protected, but Roxio said "Hardy har har!" to that claim and burned it with no problem.

Roxy Music-Love Is The Drug (5.47 MB, 192Kbits/second)

http://www.zshare.net/audio/3083482c1e06fd/

I'll be back on Monday afternoon (barring any further cable problems) with a new upload. This time it will be a catchy rap song.

No comments: