Friday, June 22, 2007

Giving You A Dawn… Er, I Mean Afternoon Surprise

First off, I decided on using Z Share from now on, as not only is it more reliable than Megaupload, but you can also preview the entire song before you download it, a feature that I'm sure many will find to be handy.


Finally, here is the start of me talking about the type of dance music you hear at the House of Blues in Orlando. Here is something I wrote on my MySpace page a few days ago, so you can skip past the italics part if you've read it already.

House of Blues in Orlando for their Sunday Night Service Industry Night. It's a place I've been to quite a few times before, as they usually have music known as "electro breaks", "Florida breaks", or "Florida breakbeat" (there's no one set name for it), which is dance music that has electro influences in it and feature a lot of bass, to explain it as simply as I can. It's funky as hell music that is prefect for break dancing, which almost always takes place at these events. Now, this was the first time I was there this year, for reasons I'll get into in a moment. At Service Industry Nights, they have two resident DJ's, James Anthony and DJ Sandy, who both do a great job at picking out the right songs to play. They also have a few DJ's that play before and after the resident DJ's sets (the event goes from 10:30 PM to 3 AM) and sometimes they can be even better. Now, it's common for them to do remixes of popular songs, but the last time I was there they started mainly playing straight up Top 40 Rap or R&B songs, which I just did not understand.

When I returned last night, they played a few songs straight up, but otherwise when you heard popular tunes, it was remixed into the Florida breaks style. For example, there was Feel Good, Inc. But, at times the DJ's can get pretty adventurous in the songs they select. For example, in the past there was a remix of The Outfield's "Your Love", which was awesome. But, last night they were awesome in what they picked. "Another Brick In The Wall Part 2" was great, and "Welcome To The Jungle" was pretty popular, and as you might expect, the "Dance Dance" remix was popular with all the people who love Fall Out Boy. But a song that I never would have thought would have received the same treatment was the Cream classic "Sunshine Of Your Love." That's right, the song sung by Eric Clapton from the 1960's! I can't tell what most people thought of it as I wasn't near the dance floor at the time, but I marked out for it, and it was well done.

On Monday I was searching for something else when totally be happenstance, I found that the Sunshine of Your Love remix was actually from a single put out in 2005 by a band known as The Hoxtons, formerly the Hoxton Whores. I also found the video for the song; not bad. The only good copy of the song I could find was the radio edit, but hey, there's nothing wrong with that.

Cream vs. The Hoxtons-Sunshine Of Your Love (Radio Edit) (4.51 MB, 192Kbits/second)

http://www.zshare.net/audio/23770167a405fc/


I'll be back Sunday afternoon with an example pertaining to the Florida Breaks style.

No comments: