Friday, June 15, 2007

Why Should We Understand The New York Times' Effect On Man?

Ozzy Osbourne is someone who experienced a career renaissance along with rising in the pop culture world after that damned reality TV show he had on MTV a few years ago. I'm not a fan of reality TV, as you can see, but then again, it's nice that Ozzy became more well known than he has anytime before in his life and attention was brought onto his musical work, where he has sang many songs that I really dig, whether it was with the legendary Black Sabbath or as a solo artist. Plus, in a morbid twist of fate, I don't live that far from where Randy Rhodes passed away due to an airplane crash.

I was surprised when I found this out while looking for info on today's uploads. Someone on a messageboard mentioned this, and it was confirmed by me. Ozzy has done some bizarre collaborations, whether it was with Was (Not Was), Miss Piggy (yes, really), or my favorite, something done for the South Park album, which was him, DMX, Ol' Dirty Bastard, Crystal Method, and some rock band aligned with Diddy. I mean, I was "WTF?" when I saw the lineup. Did they pick names out of a hat for that? It's different, to say the least. One of these days I'll upload it here (I just have to find a version of it that isn't edited for language), but for now I'll discuss a song he did with Dweezil Zappa, a musician I don't know a lot about besides that he has a famous father who unfortunately gave him a rather poor choice of a first name.

The song… it's a cover of the Bee Gees classic "Stayin' Alive"! Yes, Ozzy singing a disco tune, you heard it right. The version of the song I downloaded was back in 2003, when the song was a bootleg track off of an album Dweezil did in 1991. The story as to why the track was not put on the album, and who sang the new track in Ozzy's place is a great tale. I mean, one of the Osmonds???

But, in 2005 the track finally got an official release, and I just downloaded it a few minutes ago (hey, I'm being honest here). It's identical to the bootleg except that the sound quality is better than on the bootleg. Ozzy and Dweezil do a real nice job on the track.

Dweezil Zappa & Ozzy Osbourne-Stayin' Alive (4.35 MB,128Kbits/second)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BBL6A4PU

On Sunday night I'll put up a song with a rather shocking collaboration between a well known rock outfit and a rapper. I'm a little taken back that people didn't raise up in arms over Ozzy appearing on the same track with DMX and ODB, but I'm even more shocked that people didn't get up in arms over my next upload considering who was involved.

No comments: